sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] RFC: combining all gcc frontends into a single spell
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:32:25 +0200 (CEST)

> I agree that combining the spells again is probably a good idea. The
> original separation happened mostly because we didn't have SUB_DEPENDS
> at the time, so this was the only way to make sure spells could depend
> on the compiler for the language they needed.
> If this makes it possible to make gmp and mpfr internal to gcc, that
> would be a welcome advantage, circular depends are nasty when you run
> into problems.

I have a merged gcc spell now ready(for all languages). Still need to test
cast all the options but gcc+g++ work. mpfr and gmp can be put into the
source tree and thus gcc will pick them up. I'll commit it into a
devel-merged-gcc branch first thing in the morning.

Some stats(both same flags, profiledbootstrap-lean):

gcc+g++
gaze time gcc g++
Casting gcc took 3h 3m
Casting g++ took 3h 31m
Total time: 6h 34m

unified gcc with g++ enabled
Casting gcc took 3h 32m

So no matter how one twists this it is faster in a single one.

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.