sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:56:49 +0200

On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:48:29AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:

> Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > On Jun 05, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> >> Anyway, pending comments, I'm going to go ahead and start a full import
> >> of
> >> the p4 commit history into a new grimoire.git. When that's done I'll
> >> probably ask for a few hours of no grimoire commits to any SCM and update
> >> the new git with commits made to the other eval scms, then we'll come
> >> back
> >> up with just the one git with all the history. We'd need to do this at
> >> some point and if we do it now we will have less work to do later,
> >> assuming
> >> we stick with git.
> >
> > I realized this import won't be as straightforward as the sorcery and
> > cauldron ones were, since grimoire p4 is a moving target. We'll probably
> > need to schedule some brief downtime so Tony can dump the db at me and I
> > can get it imported into git. I'll try to get that scheduled at a most
> > convenient time (not over a weekend).
>
> To be safe, during the full git test we'll want to mark Perforce as
> read-only (as Ladislav suggested I do per section earlier ;)) and
> disable/remove mercurial and svn/svk.
>
> > Also, this is the list of (minor) stuff we need to work on in git:
> >
> > - improve changelog merges
> > - improve commit emails
> > - better readability
> > - better separation of commits
> > - not listing merge commits
> > - useful additional headers for sorting
> > - git-cvsserver
> >
> > Anything else? I probably forgot some, it's early and I don't have the
> > list in front of me.
>
> Just auto generation of ChangeLog/HISTORY entries based off of the
> commit message if we want to try that.

I'm not sure we want it for HISTORY. For ChangeLog, it might work,
though we'd have to standardise on some way to specify
moves/renames/deletions in commit messages.
For HISTORY I don't think it's a good idea. That would require the full
HISTORY entry as commit message, which imho makes looking up stuff later
hard.
I prefer short messages like "spell: frobnicated DEPENDS" as commit
messages, with the full details in HISTORY.

http://www.sourcemage.org