sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:45:29 -0500

On Jun 03, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> On Apr 12, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> > The current identified SCMs to try are git, svk, and svn. git is most
> > similar to bzr (which the other teams are already using) and has a very
> > robust feature set. svk is most similar to p4. svn is probably in the
> > widest general community use. Is this the right list? Do we have some
> > volunteer gurus/sections for each?
>
> The acl hooks that upstream gave me for hg don't work, but I went ahead and
> set them up with basic group-based permissions so you guys can use them.
> The main thing for now is to find out if it's viable as a contendor or not,
> if it is we can configure it more appropriately later.

So far hg is proving unuseable due to memory requirements experienced by a
couple of people on checkout and other operations. These problems don't
appear to be universal, so we're talking with #mercurial about figuring out
what's going on, but given that it really doesn't obviously have anything
going for it the other candidate SCMs don't, we're looking at moving this
all on to the next phase. That would be picking one candidate to put the
whole grimoire in and run it for a month or two to see if it really works.

The only real candidate standing right now is git, so this is the one we'd
move forward with. We have quite a few people using this now in the eval,
and I have yet to hear anything I'd actually call a complaint. There are
some questions here and there and things we know we'd like to get working a
bit better, but no one has yet said "I hate that it does x or y" or "git
ate my dog" or anything. So, I'd like to ask: are you guys having problems
you're not talking about yet? Now is the time. :-) The good news is that
the devs remain extremely helpful, so if there is anything we can probably
look at resolving it.

Anyway, pending comments, I'm going to go ahead and start a full import of
the p4 commit history into a new grimoire.git. When that's done I'll
probably ask for a few hours of no grimoire commits to any SCM and update
the new git with commits made to the other eval scms, then we'll come back
up with just the one git with all the history. We'd need to do this at
some point and if we do it now we will have less work to do later, assuming
we stick with git.