sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] scm next steps
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:06:56 -0500

On Jun 05, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> Anyway, pending comments, I'm going to go ahead and start a full import of
> the p4 commit history into a new grimoire.git. When that's done I'll
> probably ask for a few hours of no grimoire commits to any SCM and update
> the new git with commits made to the other eval scms, then we'll come back
> up with just the one git with all the history. We'd need to do this at
> some point and if we do it now we will have less work to do later, assuming
> we stick with git.

I realized this import won't be as straightforward as the sorcery and
cauldron ones were, since grimoire p4 is a moving target. We'll probably
need to schedule some brief downtime so Tony can dump the db at me and I
can get it imported into git. I'll try to get that scheduled at a most
convenient time (not over a weekend).

Also, this is the list of (minor) stuff we need to work on in git:

- improve changelog merges
- improve commit emails
- better readability
- better separation of commits
- not listing merge commits
- useful additional headers for sorting
- git-cvsserver

Anything else? I probably forgot some, it's early and I don't have the
list in front of me.