sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:26:03 -0500

On Oct 24, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) [jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org] wrote:
> Some of us[0] discussed this some more on IRC, and we agreed that we think
> the following makes the most sense:
>
> 1. We should continue to maintain a wiki for developing documentations,
> specifications, policies, etc; basically, the wiki will be the
> developer-facing web place to propose things and work on them til
> they're complete.
>
> 2. When things on the wiki are complete, they should get moved to the
> Drupal
> site. The Drupal site will be the public-facing site, with only final
> content. It will combine this content with forums, blogs, and other
> user-facing functions that Drupal integrates well.
>
> 3. It should be the individual Team Leads' responsibility to make sure
> things in their areas of the wiki that are complete get moved to the
> Drupal site in a timely manner. The Tome team and the Project
> Lead/Asst. Project Lead will be available to help with this, but it
> will be the TL's job to make sure it gets done. Drupal will remain
> editable only by those who have edit permissions, which includes the
> Tome team, the Leads, and their designees.
>
> This should address all of the points raised below except for (6) and (7),
> which, again, are largely implementation issues and can be addressed with
> most any technology we use.
>
> How do the rest of you who have an opinion feel about this? A question yet
> to answer would be who would have either read or write access to the wiki.
> We would want to make it useful for what it's intended for without creating
> a scenario where it just takes over the role of the Drupal site for
> content, because that just makes the Tome team's job harder. The most
> draconian approach would be to only allow registered developers to read and
> write the dev wiki. A more open approach would be to let anyone read it
> and any registered user approved by a TL edit it. Thoughts?

Comments seem to be summed up as:

A. People aren't convinced things would make it quickly or easily to
Drupal (me included).

B. moinmoin seems fine for the wiki.

C. The wiki will be readable by anyone. Anyone who wants to contribute
can register for write access, but registrations have to be approved by
leads.

Does that capture everything?

For (A), as noted I think we can automate this to some extent, and I think
it's worth trying to work this way regardless. The worst case scenario
seems to be that we end up with lots of docs in the wiki that aren't in
drupal, and I'm not sure how bad of a scenario that really is. We still
would have docs, and it would mostly indicate we do a better job at just
keeping them in a wiki, and we need to revisit the whole "one site to bind
them" strategy.

Are we good enough to move forward with this as we rebuild?