sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 13:57:46 -0500

On Oct 24, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> > I don't have much experience with Web site maintenance, but one thing I
> > see is that such arrangement is rather unorthodox. I'd be glad to hear
> > that somebody somewhere has prior experience dealing with authoring
> > documents in Wiki and then uploading them onto a CMS system. These
> > people could illuminate us on how much or little trouble this is. There
> > may be issues none of us are aware of, and in the end this may simply
> > not work.
> <snip>
>
> When I did work on moving content from our old wiki into Drupal Book I
> basically had to redo all of the formatting (since the WikiSyntax was
> not HTML, which Drupal Book wanted). We'll probably have the same
> issue here.
>
> Solutions:
> 1) Don't bother formatting the wiki (at least not too much bother).
> This way formatting is only done once (finalized into Drupal Book)
>
> 2) Find a module which will convert WikiSyntax (whichever syntax our
> wiki has) into Drupal Book (HTML 4.0 strict, IIRC)
>
> 3) Format in WikiSyntax for the wiki and have someone re-format it in
> Drupal Book when needed.
>
> Option #2 would probably be best since our developers would like their
> thoughts to look nice and organized (I'd think ;)) while they work on
> them.

Even if we can't find a module, why wouldn't we just automate the
conversion? However you enter content in the wiki, it comes out as HTML
for the browser. We might want to change a few things from the
wiki-produced HTML to whatever we wanted to put in drupal, but it should be
a pretty straightforward conversion. Just some form of wget | sed.