sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:31:38 -0700

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:15:51AM -0700, Jason Flatt wrote:
> On Sunday 23 October 2005 11:59 pm, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> >
> > 3. It should be the individual Team Leads' responsibility to make sure
> > things in their areas of the wiki that are complete get moved to the
> > Drupal site in a timely manner. The Tome team and the Project
> > Lead/Asst. Project Lead will be available to help with this, but it
> > will be the TL's job to make sure it gets done. Drupal will remain
> > editable only by those who have edit permissions, which includes the
> > Tome team, the Leads, and their designees.
>
> Knowing how things currently are with the Source Mage development team (and
> how they were in the past), I'd say that the wiki will end up being the
> primary doc site, because only a very few people will move the final docs
> the Drupal side. As it is, the team leads don't even update their own
> objectives very often, and no amount of poking by any project leader has
> improved that. Very few people want to document -- they only want to code,
> and that's universal.

I tend to agree, its a good idea but it seems like it wont work in
practice, both because of social problems (I prefer to code), and because
of technological issues. Wiki markup isnt the same as html markup so it
would be a non-zero amount of work to transfer wiki->drupal book. That
just adds to the social aspect of the problem, now not only do I prefer to
code, but when I have the motivation to work on docs, its more difficult
(for me, i prefer wiki markup to html, i know that isn't universal). As
proposed I dont think this solution will work.

> > How do the rest of you who have an opinion feel about this? A question
> > yet
> > to answer would be who would have either read or write access to the wiki.
> > We would want to make it useful for what it's intended for without
> > creating
> > a scenario where it just takes over the role of the Drupal site for
> > content, because that just makes the Tome team's job harder. The most
> > draconian approach would be to only allow registered developers to read
> > and
> > write the dev wiki. A more open approach would be to let anyone read it
> > and any registered user approved by a TL edit it. Thoughts?
>
> My thoughts on this area are that the wiki should be readable by all, and
> r/w
> by anyone with a valid account, based on an e-mail account registration
> process. If it has to be approved by someone, it's possible that it could
> take a few days, and by then, the doc writing inspiration will be lost.
> :^)
> I am, however, okay with the TL approval process as a better way of
> validating accounts.

MoinMoin has per-page acl's. So we could easily lock down access (read
and/or write) to official or important documents to approved people. That
leaves the "open" aspect of wiki.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |