sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:07:50 -0500

On Oct 24, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
> > How do the rest of you who have an opinion feel about this? A question
> > yet
> > to answer would be who would have either read or write access to the wiki.
> > We would want to make it useful for what it's intended for without
> > creating
> > a scenario where it just takes over the role of the Drupal site for
> > content, because that just makes the Tome team's job harder. The most
> > draconian approach would be to only allow registered developers to read
> > and
> > write the dev wiki. A more open approach would be to let anyone read it
> > and any registered user approved by a TL edit it. Thoughts?
>
> As per our Social Contract it should be readable by all, but I think
> only registered developers (where accounts have to be verified by one
> of the admins (probably the Team Leads)) can write content. If people
> want to add ideas they can use their Drupal blog, IMO.

Honestly my own opinion would probably favor more open (registered) wiki
access. blogs don't sound like a very efficient method for feedback and
collaboration to me... but I'm not a big fan of blogs. In general I'd say
I'm less interested in seeing them become much more than an extra feature
the website has for those that want to use them. Pragmatically this is
just to prevent burnout... people already need to check the MLs, IRC
channels, bugzilla, web site, wiki, and possibly forums to know what's
going on, and I don't know many that take time to do all of that. Adding
one more channel sounds like a lot.