sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: "Jeremy Blosser (emrys)" <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Questions About Drupal Functionality and Acceptance
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 11:54:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Jeremy Blosser (emrys) wrote:
Some of us[0] discussed this some more on IRC, and we agreed that we think
the following makes the most sense:

1. We should continue to maintain a wiki for developing documentations,
specifications, policies, etc; basically, the wiki will be the
developer-facing web place to propose things and work on them til
they're complete.

I like this (with the caveats below).

2. When things on the wiki are complete, they should get moved to the Drupal
site. The Drupal site will be the public-facing site, with only final
content. It will combine this content with forums, blogs, and other
user-facing functions that Drupal integrates well.

The fun thing about this will be that the wiki format and Drupal
format are different, but other than that I like this idea as well.

3. It should be the individual Team Leads' responsibility to make sure
things in their areas of the wiki that are complete get moved to the
Drupal site in a timely manner. The Tome team and the Project
Lead/Asst. Project Lead will be available to help with this, but it
will be the TL's job to make sure it gets done. Drupal will remain
editable only by those who have edit permissions, which includes the
Tome team, the Leads, and their designees.

Being pedantic: Team Leads can designate other team members to be
responsible for moving the content over (e.g. an Assistant Lead, if
they have one, or even each team could have a "Documentation" position
that'll work with the Tome Team), but the Lead is still responsible in
making sure that job is done.

This should address all of the points raised below except for (6) and (7),
which, again, are largely implementation issues and can be addressed with
most any technology we use.

How do the rest of you who have an opinion feel about this? A question yet
to answer would be who would have either read or write access to the wiki.
We would want to make it useful for what it's intended for without creating
a scenario where it just takes over the role of the Drupal site for
content, because that just makes the Tome team's job harder. The most
draconian approach would be to only allow registered developers to read and
write the dev wiki. A more open approach would be to let anyone read it
and any registered user approved by a TL edit it. Thoughts?

As per our Social Contract it should be readable by all, but I think
only registered developers (where accounts have to be verified by one
of the admins (probably the Team Leads)) can write content. If people
want to add ideas they can use their Drupal blog, IMO.

[0] Participants included myself, sandalle, Kinetix, swoolley, afrayedknot,
BearPerson, and ruskie. The log is attached.
<snip>

- -sandalle

- --