sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Robert Helgesson" <rycee AT home.se>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 21:38:45 +0200

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 00:35:19 +1000, Hamish Greig wrote:
> optional for the new system or in the iso_root to use during install and
> during rescue ?
> Is elvis no good ? I don't use either so have no opinion.

Elvis is fine, perhaps not for serious coding but I use it exclusively
on my server and it's very nice for editing config files and such.

> Do people use elvis or do they change to vim after install ?
> should elvis stay and vim be added to the list of editors ?

Elvis should stay. I believe most people cast VIM after the install if
they like the VI interface but people also have different preferences on
how to set it up so you'll have to do a cast -r -c vim regardless.

> I would be fine with only nano in the iso_root but respect others wishes to
> not use it, and if jed and elvis aren't representative of what the majority
> is using now then the majority's choice should be added (at least for
> install
> and for iso_root too if wanted)

Personally I think removing jed from the ISO would be nice since then
the slang library also can be removed. I don't know how many use Jed
though. Perhaps replace it with uemacs?

> For everything I have built caches for I have answered no to the
> optional_depends (to simplify checking depends during install), would vim
> built without any optional_depends turned on be ok or not ?

For my purposes it wouldn't suffice and I suspect the setups for vim are
quite diverse among it's smgl users. I feel that keeping elvis as the
VI-like option is a good compromise.

--
/ Robert Helgesson |-- rycee AT home.se --\
\-- GPG Key ID: 41E95A5B --| http://www.rycee.cx/ /