sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] requests for spells on ISO
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:29:44 -0800

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 09:05:01PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> > On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 05:38, Robert Helgesson wrote:
> > > Elvis should stay. I believe most people cast VIM after the install if
> > > they like the VI interface but people also have different preferences on
> > > how to set it up so you'll have to do a cast -r -c vim regardless.
> >
> > Elvis will stay, but vim should be installable I think (no
> > optional_depends
> > selected). but the installer doesn't install any $SPELL_CONFIG files
> > to /etc/sorcery/local/depends/* any more, so the first sorcery rebuild
> > will
> > ask the user how they want it configured.
>
> Ahh, I like that setup. ;)

As long as our ISOs contain spells built with the default configuration,
I will be happy with no SPELL_CONFIG files. However, I would like to
have a sorcery rebuild after install have the same default configuration
but just be optimized. It just seems to be more consistent that way and
will make irc troubleshooting easier. Is this possible?

Note for the future:

And you mentioned the perl dependency for linux ... I'd like to have the
option to not have perl in the basesystem. In fact maybe we need to
make a distinction between "runtime_depends" and "build_depends" if it's
not both. That way it could cast (as in resurrect if already built)
perl, build linux, and then dispel perl when the last spell that needed
it in the install list completed (while optionally keeping a cache
laying around). If we wanted to have more fun, gcc itself could be
eliminated in that way and only resurrected for stuff that needed it.
This would make it really easy to copy a bunch of caches over and since
most stuff doesn't need a runtime_depends on the full gcc, we could make
zaurus/embedded/server ports really easy. runtime_depends don't have to
be dependency ordered during building, as well. Anybody following me?

--
Seth Alan Woolley <seth at positivism.org>, SPAM/UCE is unauthorized
Key id EF10E21A = 36AD 8A92 8499 8439 E6A8 3724 D437 AF5D EF10 E21A