sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Assembling image.tar.bz2 for installation iso

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Assembling image.tar.bz2 for installation iso
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:52:48 -0500 (CDT)

Well, I've tried quite a few tricks, but haven't been able to find a
graceful way to build the image.tar.bz2 for the installation iso. If
anyone has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them!

The problem is essentially to build a working sourcemage system in a
chroot environment, which I know some people have done. However, doing
this without using the previous image.tar.bz2 is pretty difficult, unless
the host system has the relevant spells installed and configured the same
way that they need to be for the image.

I tried pulling just the relevant spells into the chroot environment by
processing their install logs. With a few tweaks to take care of some of
the aliens, this worked until I tried to rebuild in the chroot. Some of
these spells had grown dependent on the X11 libraries (though their
dependency info in /var/state/sorcery/depends did not reflect this
dependency).

I've also discovered that our basesystem meta spell does not include all
of the dependencies of the sorcery scripts, isn't this its intent? If so,
I'll file a bug listing those that are missing. For example, basename and
dirname are provided by sh-utils which is not listed in the basesystem
depends.

There are also some directories missing from our systems that are required
by the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard which in turn is required for LSB
compliance. Obviously, any of these missing directories we haven't really
needed, but if our goal is eventual LSB compliance, we will need to add
them in.

If anyone has any hints, I'd be happy to hear them!

-casey