sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] KDE upgrade 3.1.1a

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: spencero AT mail.utexas.edu
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] KDE upgrade 3.1.1a
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:26:20 -0500

We'll its what I get for being paranoid with out any real understanding.

In an attempt to make my system more secure I did two things to tighten up
security. I change the umask of all users to 077, and I tightened up the
permissions of /etc. The former change created most of problems, since when
sorcery installed something, there permissions were not world readable, this
was definitely causing the missing button icons and other KDE weirdness. I
think it may have also cause the fint problem.

I still ave some weird X artifacts, but as before, they go away on resolution
change.

Lesson learned, don't mess with root's umask.

Spencer