permaculture - Re: [permaculture] QUESTIONS .. of corruption etc etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] QUESTIONS .. of corruption etc etc
  • Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 21:04:16 -0500

On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
wrote:

> What is the real difference between a rill, brook, stream, rivulet, river,
> estuary, and...

Maybe the complexity of and diversity within the ecology in terrain
surrounding each form of aggregation of water sources
into a flowing body of water. Some will allow water to collect and stand,
permeating soil, mulch and humus
allowing lifeforms to survive and evolve. Others, the larger flows, will
carry silt, organic matter, creatures and seeds to
places they otherwise might never reach. I think this is covered in the
biological science, limnology. I have a book written
by a former professor at UNC called Streams, Lakes, Ponds by Robert Coker.
I may have another book by him on the same subject.
This is one of my favorite subjects. I wish I had flowing water on my land
but at least I spent thousands of dollars (well spent) on terraforming to
create water distribution systems and channelling to direct excess rainfall
into three man made catchments, wet weather ponds with much wildlife; many
birds, draonflies, bats and amphibians = no mosquito bites (OK, five per
season).

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com