permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2015 09:04:35 -0400

Water quality restoration is a fascinating subject. Our city is actually
doing some good things in that regard, adding cattails and reeds to water
catchment ditches, requiring catchment basins everywhere, etc. Our
hydrology here is interesting, we have Karst geology with complex flows and
artesian action; there is quite a relationship between surface water,
shallow aquifer and even the deep aquifer, which comes up in various
places, as well as underground flows coming from hundreds of miles away.
And we have rain events with multiple inches falling in a couple of hours
so flood patterns are readily observable. Lots of challenges to keep
pollution and salt out of the water supply here.

Like your ideas for the LEED site! It would be a lot more interesting and
functional. The plantings are native in the wetlands - the wetlands is in
the front and the pond in the back, so that limits us somewhat. Here are a
few that would work - Pickeral weed is beautiful and also edible. Canna is
too, I have the achira variety in my yard; huge root.

http://lee.ifas.ufl.edu/AgNatRes/Pubs/PondsandLakes.pdf

We have some great edible native plums and berry bushes too, for the
landscape. But some cities refuse to put any edibles into public areas
because the fruit is messy, it attracts fruit rats, etc. Yes, the
regulations need to be changed (pretty much everywhere). We're slowly
working on that. Chickens are still illegal in my town but there is a lot
of backyard civil disobedience going on.

They could have put so many more plants in the system that would attract
butterflies and wildlife. They put natives in the wetlands, but have hardly
any natives in other areas where they could have skipped irrigation if they
had used them.

They put a fence up around the pond because there are giant alligators in
there - maybe they were sunning themselves on the nice lawn where wedding
guests walk (they do use the lawn for weddings, forgot about that). The
cute little duck family that was there might have got et in one giant bite
maybe. They disappeared overnight. :-0 So that might be a barrier to
putting tempting edibles in the pond, lol.

Florida is funny - we have really densely populated areas (my county is the
most densely populated south of NYC on the east coast). And lots of top
predators - alligators in just about every backyard lake, bald eagles
nesting right in the city, osprey everywhere, sharks, coyotes walk up and
down our street sometimes. Interesting ecosystem. Because we're on a
peninsula surrounded by water and have tons of lakes as well, the wildlife
is really abundant here in spite of how many people there are. Goes to show
the power of water in an ecosystem.

I can imagine what it was like before we overpopulated it. Per a friend,
the fish were so abundant they were piled on top of each other practically
- you could walk into the water and catch one leaping out into your hand
per him.

The alligators are not aggressive towards people at all or otherwise people
would have wiped them all out probably. There was a big kerfluffle not long
ago because Henry, the 13 foot alligator in a local park lake, got killed
by a hunter and the park regulars were really pissed. He wasn't hurting
anybody, been there for a long time. Sometimes they get people's little
dogs, but they will usually just sit there if you walk by them, or go back
in the lake. So you have old retired people from the midwest sitting in
their lawn chairs looking at the alligators in their backyard. Funny! But
city lawyers are still nervous about the potential liability. There have
been a small handful of deaths by alligator over the years.

The gambusia/mosquito fish are really tiny, like guppies. They are
necessary for mosquitos here. We need every bit of help we can get with
mosquitos. They will breed in 1/4" of standing water. I've seen the larvae
in a jar cap. I have open rain tanks that I'm thinking about putting edible
fish into. Still working out the design; trying to avoid electricity use
and create an ecological balance in them, that is my "puttering around"
project right now.

Best, Koreen