permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 08:34:35 -0400

Steve,

"However my supposed subjective views based on or influenced by
personal feelings,
tastes, or opinions of the key speakers *is shared by others as *
*well. Consequently the response has been one of grave disappointment
that**such
a list of key note speakers, in no way reflects the promoted theme*."

These are generalities, there are no specifics here.

" We also know there are many shortcomings to the whole discipline evolved
through Permaculture since its inception. The greatest IMO is *the lack of
design capacity in all who carry on any initiative under*
*its banner."*

More generalities.

"*None of the key note speakers are **designers, none have any successful
design solutions. None are involved in **developing honest design
initiatives*."

And this is also a generality that you have not presented a single fact to
back up.

I didn't go through everything you said, but there may be more
generalities.

" I have evolved my design critique through the severe frames within
that associated
professional world. The critiques are severe, but often far too few."

OK, so where are the critiques? That might actually be useful, maybe.
Generalities are not useful, they are only upsetting because they smack of
stereotyping; they feel dehumanizing and belittling. That is something that
some people in the mainstream design world do very well - from fashion to
architecture - is cut each other down until people no longer want to have
anything to do with design. From my experience, that is the idea - to cut
down the "competition." That winnowing process starts in design school and
has nothing to do with how much potential a student has as a designer.

You still have not stated upon what you are basing your criteria for "who
is a legitimate designer". .

As a permaculture designer, I have my own set of critiques for design
professionals who do not see the forest for the trees (and there are many
out there). As a specific, I take my PDC students to the top Platinum LEED
building in my area so they can observe the design flaws. These are
students who have studied permaculture for 6 days, yet they see the
omissions and flaws of one of the top "Green" building, designed by one of
the top architectural design firms in the area, simply by applying the
permaculture principles to it.

Specific flaws: roof water catchment goes into a pond and a wetland but is
not used at all in the building itself. It looks fancy, but commercial
buildings are required to build ditches and that's all it is, a glorified
catchment ditch. They did plant some wetland plants though, and got some
points for that. They put chlorine in the pond water to keep the algae out
though, lol. No water re-use of the building's showers, toilets, commercial
kitchen, etc. Lo-flo toilets only (again a minimum legal requirement).
There are a number of better options.

Solar only handles 20% of electricity usage - yet cost $300K for a 15,000
sq ft building. Where is the waste?

Landscape has some energy capture elements but also huge expanses of lawn
(in Florida) that is not used for anything - no one even walks on it. The
beautiful old growth pecan and oak trees (it's illegal to cut down the
oaks, but they probably got points for it anyway) are struggling,
surrounded by grass and no mulch.

Huge amounts of wasted space with giant ego hallways and ceilings that are
50+ feet high. Lots of heating and cooling going on in those mostly empty
hallways. Windows not placed for maximum passive result. Thermal mass not
used to its greatest effect. The aesthetic result could have been gotten in
many other ways.

Community garden beds built with wood, on a cement sidewalk, raised to
waist level, in Florida. Complex and expensive irrigation stopped working.
A challenge to keep anything alive in them. The wood is falling apart.

Community outdoor space totally uncreated in a city community center.
Director tried to create it in the parking lot, but had to modify a bunch
of stuff. Huge amounts of wasted outdoor space filled with ornamental
plants, many of which need regular watering.

There are many missed opportunities for flex space and facilitation of use
of human resources - the building costs a lot to run, for one thing.

There is more, but you get the idea. I'm not an architect, but I am a
professional permaculture designer and if I had been on that design team, I
would have more than paid for my fee in saved money and increased capacity
in that building (and I regularly do this on projects I sit in on). So
please, consider finding out about people before discounting that they have
any value whatsoever!

To suggest that the design world has its shit together better than
permaculture is a very adventurous statement, in my opinion. Look at the
outcomes of the design world's designs; it isn't hard to find horrifying
failures. Maybe you are talking about the methodologies, but if they were
so great, there would be less failures. I would say the major failing of
mainstream design methods is that they don't connect the dots nearly enough.

And yes, there are some brilliant solutions as well. Usually not very
holistic, but brilliant in their own way. Anders Nyquist is an architect I
admire for his work in Sweden and elsewhere, for instance. He's a guy who
actually had 900 year old paint on ancient churches in Europe analyzed so
he could recreate that very resilient, sustainable formula. No VOCs, for
real Now, that is my kind of designer!

I've seen some very nice designs out there done by mid level permacutlure
designers as well as veterans. And I've seen people who never did a course
but have common sense and the ability to observe, create some brilliant
solutions as well. Some of these are heads above what "seasoned design
professionals" are doing. This isn't because those design professionals
aren't smart or good at what they do. There are some brilliant and
beautiful aspects of that LEED building, for sure. But those permaculture
principles are powerful things even in the hands of people who haven't been
to design school. And in some cases, that can even be an advantage because
they are more free to think outside the box and not be afraid to do so.

Best, Koreen