permaculture - Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <koreenbrennan@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] IPC Values ?
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 12:54:32 -0400

I hear you Lawrence. We try to cover aquaculture in the class before we
visit the site so the students have that perspective. Nice pond photos! And
interesting article.

As an interesting aside, it is illegal to transport water hyacinth in
Florida. It's so incredibly invasive here it clogs entire waterways so
nothing can get through. It LOVES Florida. After I discovered that it has
at least 22 economic uses, I explained this to some state people who pay
millions to eradicate it. One of them was a private contractor who cleans
it up for the state whose lightbulbs were going off; he could see the
advantage of harvesting and selling it rather than trying to commit
genocide on it.

The site has concrete basins where the rainwater ends up, and then it goes
into the wetlands/pond on an overflow.They could put appropriate plants in
the basins and it would be a lot prettier and more fun, as well as more
functional.

I like their rain chains that catch the water on the way down from the
roof. I would love to make some of those with repurposed material. I just
would have designed the whole thing a lot differently.

They do have some nice water catchment off the parking lot into sunken
medians that absorb it. They have other features that are nice too. It was
disappointing, when I first went there, to see how much they didn't do that
they could have done. I understand there may have been regulatory and other
barriers that no one wanted to mess with and the client may have had
requirements too that limited what they could do.

Nice photo of chinampas! We use chinampas or a modification a lot in
Florida, really works great here. You just gave me the idea of adding one
or two to our pond - dont' know why I didn't think of that...We just
installed a small pond in our yard with lilies, papyrus, duckweed, native
iris and some water hyacinth somehow got in there (:-0) - we're going to
add azolla and some edibles. We also are blessed, in Florida, with super
hardy native gambusia or mosquito fish. We have them plus goldfish plus
tons of frogs that showed up plus *hot pink* dragon flies! I kid you not!
They showed up the first day after the pond had water. And electric blue
and pure black ones. I love ponds! We plan to add a flow form catching
rain off the roof, going through a small wetlands to clean it, then into
the pond - the spillway leads to some bananas.

We talked about putting some larger native fish in there but there are tons
of water birds in the neighborhood; not sure I want to fight that fight.

Koreen
www.growpermaculture.com