permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 18:46:38 -0500

Oh wow, this is exactly the kind of "horizontal hostility" (a/k/a the "circular firing squad") that they condemn in their book. Ideology can be a fine thing and can have some uses, especially in organizing political resistence, but all ideologies are human constructs so however perfect their creators believe they are, they will always fall short as a full description of reality. Just as the map is not the territory, an ideology is not a description of reality. It might be considered an attempt at a description, but the risk is that an ideology will take on a life of its own. Instead of facilitating a wholistic/whole systems approach, it may degenerate into one or more religious or political sects firing "more pure than thou" missiles at others, while reserving special venom -- horizontal hostility! -- for any and all heretics.

I think one reason the permaculture movement has escaped this fate is that thus far, we have resisted the urge to recognize a permaculture "pope" and set up centralized systems of control and authority over our activities. Yeah, lots of people criticize us for this, but when I look at the fate of other movements, I remain grateful for our rhizome and stolon approach.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle