permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 20:09:05 -0400

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 12:51 PM, <kelda@riseup.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> So the permaculture news from Tacoma, WA is that a lot of us have been
> reading the book Deep Green Resistance and highly recommend that other
> permaculturists do so. The authors specifically critique permaculture, and
> (though I'd love to sit down with Lierre Keith over a cup of tea to argue
> some specifics) I think they bring up some really good points about how
> the Permaculture movement could better serve a true culture of resistance.
> Ie, how it ISN'T direct action against what is destroying the planet, but
> could be.

How about Deep Green Cohesion and bonding for global permaculture community
action toward positive goals that serve to help people survive. Who
has time to worry about
how to join and contribute toward a resistance movement when one's
basic needs have to be met: food, shelter, medical, safety and
security, education and free time spent in personal pursuits and
immersion in Nature, walk in woods, watch sunset, fish, garden,
meditate. Personally I endorse any movement that encourages avoidance
of and alternatives to (meditate, garden, code websites, cook, etc.)
alcohol, drugs and tobacco (none of those three ever, the human body
was not meant to assimilate such things, ignore all excuses to the
contrary.

On the other hand the three ethics of permaculture seem to indicate
that a Green Resistance would be a natural thing for permaculturists
to become involved with. If we don't then who will?

> How has this changed things for me? Instead of being under the illusion
> that my permaculture demonstration projects (or my bike-riding, or my
> shorter showers) will cause any big change as fast as we need it, I'm
> thinking more now of how to create garden networks that can actually serve
> as a totally alternate food systems. Inspiring hope and love for planet
> are nice and all, but we need different physical structures fast.

How do you want to create those networks, Kelda? What do you want to
accomplish?

I could create a network structure online if people would use it.

This is something already in place and I am a member of it, Durham
Locally Grown.
LocallyGrown.Net -- Small Farms Making a Difference
http://locallygrown.net/

I have suggested creating a national, product and services,
production, marketing and distribution network
comprised of the smallest conceivable nodes making up a national
aggregate. LocallyGrown and Craigslist are similar.
My network would have more functions and ultimately provide the USA
with an alternative marketplace for goods and services, barter, sell,
trade,
all consistent with existing local, state and federal tax law and all
other regulations.

LL

> Also, in the most recent permaculture course I taught, I for the first
> time said in lecture about Ethics and specifically Water topics "So don't
> tell me any specifics, but if you can Care for the Earth by blowing up a
> dam than by all means do so". At which of course the class laughed and
> tangentalized into how best to care for salmon runs/siltation until I
> brought them back to the topic at hand.
>
> Anyway. Deep Green Resistance. Read the book! It's not for everyone in the
> permaculture movement, but it's very much for a lot of us. I look forward
> to some great conversation about it with permies in the future.

I hope so. Onward.

> Kelda

LL