permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:49:27 -0400

On Thu, Jul 4, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Chris Jackson <kairos.chris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the book a couple of years ago. I liked much of what it had to say,
> but the organization itself has become problematic. Aric McBay has left
> the group: http://www.aricmcbay.org/2013/05/14/dgr-and-transphobia/, and
> there have been many critiques about their structure and "cult of
> personality" that you can find on the web.
> Chris

This is well worth posting. This is a good time to take a look at the
Permaculture movement
for signs of factionalizing, balkanizing, tribalizing. Then there's
the odious money crowd
who want to get rich off permaculture and pass the blame to others.

<>.

McBay Author, activist, farmer.
Subscribe via RSS

Books
Short Work
Appearances and Talks
Interviews

14May/13Off
DGR and Transphobia
http://www.aricmcbay.org/2013/05/14/dgr-and-transphobia/

This is a note I sent to Decolonizing Yoga after their piece on DGR
and transphobia was posted.

My name is Aric McBay. I'm the primary author of the book Deep Green
Resistance and was (rather briefly) one of the original people behind
the organization which Be Scofield writes about on your website.

You mention in your piece that I'm a founder, but what you probably
don't know is that I left the organization at the beginning of 2012
after a trans inclusive policy was cancelled by Derrick Jensen and
Lierre Keith. Many good people and good activists left the
organization for that reason.

I find these transphobic attitudes to be disgusting and deeply
troubling, and it bothers me a lot to have any past association with
people promoting transphobia.

For me, trans rights and trans inclusion are fundamental to building
effective movements and to building a world worth living in. Speaking
as the main author of the book that inspired the organization in the
first place: they are most definitely my core values.

And transphobia--like racism and sexism and classism and
homophobia--is a poison that those in power use to destroy movements
and ruin lives. When faced with such poisons, who needs COINTELPRO?

Solidarity between movements is the only hope we have. I would
appreciate it if you would mention this as an addendum on your piece,
because I want to make it clear to people that I, and the vast
majority of radical environmentalists, fully support trans rights and
trans inclusion. I don't want to allow a few outliers to drive wedges
between movements that can and should support each other.

And you can quote me on that.

In solidarity,
Aric McBay