permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Open Source Permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Open Source Permaculture
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:07:14 -0400

On 4/16/2012 3:46 AM, Chris Watkins wrote:
Btw, does anyone have any news on permaculture.info? Is it possible to
recover the information that was on there?

http://www.permaculture.info renders:

<>
PIW has a problem

Sorry! This site is experiencing technical difficulties.

Try waiting a few minutes and reloading.

(Can't contact the database server: Access denied for user 'pcplantdb'@'vhost3.int.ibiblio.org' (using password: YES) (mysql.ibiblio.org))
<>

You mean, is it possible to obtain a typical database dump from the permaculture.info MediaWiki?

PIW was Permaculture Information Web or permaculture.info or Permaculture Wiki.

It's a long story. You should already know most of it.

It would appear to me that the public is owed this wiki as $15,000 was paid to Scott's Permaculture Institute by a foundation in California to create and put online a permaculture plant and animals database, which turned out to be a wiki thanks to $500 paid to Richard Morris to install MediaWiki on ibiblio for that purpose. Stepanie Gerson wrote the grant proposal and the money was recieved by P.I. to pay for programming and any other expenses. Most of the money and much valuable time was wasted coddling one of the project group members who wanted the database to be done in some oddball language which could not be hosted by ibiblio. That little diversion failed so Richard then created and administered a wiki at ibiblio for use of project members. A lot of nice information and graphics was created and that is what you have seen online for years until the present. I'll bet that due to lack of use and administration it got hacked and filled with spam so ibiblio took it offline; see error message above. Originally it was hosted under the ibiblio domain.

When I think of the time and effort I spent 1) making it possible for P.I.-Scott to own permaculture.org and 2) much of the same for permaculture.info, purchased during the course of the database project,
for the project, and by the main programmer, who had the domain registered by some oddball company in France and was hosting it himself on one of his own servers. That of course went downhill fast. It was a MySQL/PHP database using the Plants For A Future dataset. After years of communication Scott was able to get the domain away from the French company. I offered to move that registration to Register.Com and have domain hosting done by ibiblio/UNC so we could continue developing the wiki. I spent many hours online and on the phone with register.com moving registration to them and with ibiblio/UNC setting up hosting. It finally was ready for us to resume work. Richard was still helping with administrative duties but noone was doing any work on the wiki so it fell into disuse and was finally taken offline. I have no idea whether P.I./Scott knows about the state of this project and its online presence or has any plans for it, fix it, move it, abandon it. Seems a very big waste for it not to continue when you consider all the money, time, effort, skill and hope that was put into it.

You could 1) contact Scott/P.I./Scott's wife who does all the web development for their organization 2) ibiblio, to a) with Scott's permission, get a database dump to add to Appropedia b) take over administration of it with P.I./Scott's permission and resume development at ibiblio with them as host. 3) move domain hosting to Appropedia's domain host and seamlessly integrate it with Appropedia or put it back online as a separate Wiki alongside Appropedia.

I prefer that it go back online with ibiblio as host and one or more volunteer adminstrators. It has free hosting at ibiblio and can securely reside there indefinitely. If registration of the domain has lapsed, which I doubt, that is another matter.

At this point there seems to be very little happening with a serious online permaculture database or wiki so if you can resurrect permaculture.info or add its dataset to Appropedia that would be a good thing, certainly better than the present situation with what was once a substantial project. If you want me to help in the same capacity as before, communicating with ibiblio and register.com, I will do so.

Lawrence London

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 01:06, Chris Watkins