permaculture - Re: [permaculture] drainage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] drainage
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 23:05:31 -0000

Not that simple Neil. That is how we ended up with a root cellar. We dug a little pond for our geese and in a dry period it dried out. So we dug it out a bit deeper and it again dried out. We kept on digging and eventually it got wet again and it filled up 5 meters deep with water. Geese and ducks liked it and their droppings in the water made it more or less water tight. Then we thought we needed a dry cellar more than a very deep pond. We put in a drain pipe and put a concrete roof over it. It now grows goose berries on top.
Most ponds here need plastic pond liner to keep water.
John in Ireland

just a thought...too much water could be a solution if you decide to use
that area for pond and aquaculture systems rather than land farming???>
other options...address the drainage up hill of the situation through
storages, diversions, etc.

cheers
neil