permaculture - Re: [permaculture] drainage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Bonney <steve@sustainableearth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] drainage
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:42:07 -0500

I think that is a great strategy to consider for removing water from year round waterlogging, or even seasonal waterlogging in warmer climes. I do have American sycamore -- /Platanus occidentalis/, a tree often found in riparian and wetland areas -- that crop up as seedlings on my high sloping ground. However, my waterlogging does not occur in the growing season. This is probably in part due to the water uptake by trees. I am also growing the fabulous black locust -- /Robinia pseudoacacia/, a leguminous tree which coppices well and whose wood is excellent for posts, lumber, and a high BTU firewood. Further it is an excellent honey plant for my bees. But, there again, they do not evapotranspirate during my wet system season, which also is a period of cold weather and dormancy.

Willows are a very diverse family of plants that is comprise of 400 species that have a multiplicity of uses. I grow curley willow -- Salix matsudana -- on my farm. Other native willows haved moved in to participate in the ecological succession around my pond, but I have not keyed them out yet.

Steve
Indiana USA
38.9 degrees north latitude