permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Masting Questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Masting Questions
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:21:59 -0800 (PST)

@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt;
font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable {
font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page:
Section1; }

MASTING  “A mast year is a year in which vegetation produces a
significant abundance of mast (fruit). The term originally applied solely to
trees, like oak trees, that produce fruit useful for feeding farm animals. The
term "mast" comes from the Old English word "mæst", meaning
the nuts of forest trees that have accumulated on the ground, especially those
used as food for fattening domestic pigs.” Wikipedia definition.

@font-face {
font-family: "Times New Roman";
}p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt;
font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }table.MsoNormalTable {
font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page:
Section1; }

Hello Chris,

Masting is a very valuable lesson for all of us. Many mast crops have been
and are used for human food.  I am not an expert, but I do know from
my tree research that it is very common for tree species to have on years and
off years.  Or as it may be said
fat years and lean years (for the critters that eat the mast). In some fruit
trees such as apples, this manifests as alternate bearing.  Too heavy a crop
can exhaust the plant
and it takes a year a year to recover.
This has something to do with resources allocated to next year's buds versus
this year's crop.

Forest masting is of a different sort.  Mast years are when a series of events
leads to an especially good growing season in that locality for one or more
mast tree species.  The mast area
can be geographically widespread or more local. In an era of climate change
we could
expect to have fewer years where things line up right.  One of the biggest
problems, of course,
is how much fewer mature forests there are to produce mast.

It was common among hunter gatherer cultures that used mast
as food to store bumper crops for lean years.  Acorns and pine nuts being two
examples.

All this being said, If we are growing mast trees (that is
food trees) in a permaculture system we can take measures to help give them
the
proper growing conditions for good harvests in more years then would be
achieved naturally.

Has anyone written a book on the topic of masting yet from
an international perspective? Probably needs to be done.

Michael Pilarski