permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Gleying, bentonite

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Gleying, bentonite
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 16:22:29 -0800 (PST)

The cow manure approach has worked in several sizes of ponds including very
large dammed ponds, at the Pine Ridge site I work with. The soil is silty
clay. The dams have held water for years. One small pond failed to fill but
from my observation over one summer, the animals did not stay in it enough.

When gleying, the cattle go in and out of it over time, so are not always
standing around in poop.  Some people fence them in - Bryan just put salt
licks in there and they would usually go once or twice a day and often would
poop in there. One thing about that is the edges of the pond get pretty
compacted which is not the best when wanting riparian areas to really take
off with diversity.  I can imagine that spreading manure and tamping it down
(manually or with a machine) would work even better - and definitely faster -
than the cows do, but we haven't tried that yet.

Here is a UN pamphlet on several ways to seal ponds.
http://books.google.com/books?id=FWqkYgACNoAC&pg=PA72&lpg=PA72&dq=gley+banana+leaves&source=bl&ots=3Ai7DeoomG&sig=r75aXujqxJURcE1dm4oDWx9uomM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0YcHT82OLo-Ftgf11qzWAg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=gley%20banana%20leaves&f=false

I am familiar with a couple of pond sites that used bentonite and failed, on
decomposed granite mainly. On one, it appeared that the bentonite dried so
hard before filling the pond with water that it cracked. There can be a lot
of shrinkage! On the other, it appeared to be punctured after it had been
holding water for a few months. Apparently it punctures relatively easily
(the UN pamphlet suggests this as well). In both cases, the clay was
collected off site, at some distance. i would have tried gleying first, with
materials from the site. They were small ponds, it would have been easy to
fix them if it failed.

I personally would remove the liner before trying to gley the pond, but maybe
it wouldn't matter that much.

I did research on gleying when wanting to fill a pond that way and found many
articles about people doing it successfully all over the world - for
instance, Russia routinely does it, and islands on coral rock in the S
Pacific were actually sealing ponds with banana leaves and coconut husks, on
that very porous surface! The article didn't give specifics, so I can only
imagine how they did that.....

If we have time, we will try gleying a pond this summer - I'll report back
how it works....

Koreen