permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Masting Questions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Masting Questions
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 07:41:40 -0800

Thanks for the clarification on this Michael. Seems like the general idea
of a forage forest with bumper crop years.

another aspect that ties into masting and design is the time layer and
calenderizing periods of masting. This is particularly useful when
scheduling and managing animal rotation systems. Bill M. provided an
example of this type of thinking in Permaculture Two when he writes about
design of a poultry forage orchard (and bee forage). In Holistic
Managment, we're taught to draw out a phenological calendar which trackes
green up, rapid growth, seed production and dormancy (in general
productivity) of various crop types (annual grasses, perennial grasses,
forbes, shrubs) and mast and forest fodder could be added to this list.
we're also taught to map the timing and intensity of precipitation and
other events (calving, harvesting, selling, egg production, etc). by
mapping the time layers of our farms or ecologies, we can get a lot of
insights into designing beneficial relationships and having elements in the
'right place and the right time'.

just some thoughts,
neil