permaculture - Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 10:49:16 -0800

Paul,

Putting on my science hat, I think a useful comparison would be to subject an
incandescent to the same on-off regime, unless you (or someone else) has done
that. No bulb likes frequent cycling, but if CFL's are significantly worse
at it, that strengthens your argument. It's always more useful to say "worse
than" instead of just "bad." They' all have their bad points. And I really
object to mandatory phase outs; too much politics and not enough data, plus
I'm just libertarian enough.

Like any permacultural approach, the method is always site specific, and
sometimes CFLs are good for the job. I use a mix of CFLs and incandescents,
and I'm starting to find places for LEDs. I use CFLs where lights are left on
for long periods, like porch lights and in rooms we want continuously lit.
But most of our lights are still incandescents since we tend to flip 'em on
for just a few minutes. It's always seemed obvious to me that fluorescents
don't like cycling, but I suppose most people don't think about it. LEDs are
still too actinic white for me to like their light, but I'm sure they'll
eventually have a more natural spectrum, like CFLs.

Thanks for getting some numbers!

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com