permaculture - Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 17:09:19 -0700

> What's the real deal on cleaning up safely after you break one of these
> flourescent bulbs indoors? This kind of thing drives me nuts.

Move far, far away. :)

I just read something that suggested that the mercury toxicity from a
broken bulb is no different than eating a tuna fish sandwich. And my
thinking was that that was actually TWO reasons for never using a CFL.

Rather than saying

"oh, I broke a CFL, so I guess I should skip that tuna sandwich
I was gonna eat and then I'll be the same"

I think the message should be

"If enough of us stop using CFLs maybe some day that will make
tuna less toxic."

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
domination:  http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp