permaculture - Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] CFL testing in progress / another rocket mass heater update
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 19:36:39 -0500

On 12/11/2011 7:09 PM, paul wheaton wrote:
What's the real deal on cleaning up safely after you break one of these
flourescent bulbs indoors? This kind of thing drives me nuts.

Move far, far away. :)

I just read something that suggested that the mercury toxicity from a
broken bulb is no different than eating a tuna fish sandwich. And my
thinking was that that was actually TWO reasons for never using a CFL.

Rather than saying

"oh, I broke a CFL, so I guess I should skip that tuna sandwich
I was gonna eat and then I'll be the same"

I think the message should be

"If enough of us stop using CFLs maybe some day that will make
tuna less toxic."

I am on the same bandwagon.
I have a huge supply of incandescent bulbs in storage for use when needed. I like the work lights. They have sturdier filaments, thicker glass, break resistant shape and a rubberized coating to help shockproof them. Usually used as trouble or work lights I am sure they would work fine for a long time as desk illumination...

I quit eating all tuna because I could detect some toxicity, i.e. I noticed...something funny after eating a can..
Trader Joes and Whole Foods may indeed ofer low or no toxicity tuna, quite possible. I just quit and switched to sardines and herring, no toxicity..