permaculture - [permaculture] A good scythe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] A good scythe
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:51:06 +0000

I'm becoming interested in obtaining a scythe. I managed to save several piles of grass from the bush fires this year. I'm using two of the grass piles to make keyholes to plant papayas. I would like to cut more grass next year, for composting and mulching. I cut grass with a cutlass (machete) and a swiper (a blade attached to a stick that is swung from the shoulder). I started to get some shoulder pain and it's because all the force of cutting has to go through one shoulder. Ken Hargesheimer seems to think the scythe would be a better tool in the tropics also. He says about one of his visits to latin america on his website:
"Cutting is done with a machete which kills the back. Trimmers are available but are cheapos that break. When I arrived at the hotel, they were trimming the trees out front with one which broke. I loaned them mine. They wanted to buy it and I told them it cost $20. In April I taught a workshop in Catacamas and they wanted to buy the weed cutter. Translation: Give it to me. The scythe is expensive for them. I suggested that the cooperative might purchase tools and rent them. On one farm someone had taken four days to cut an area of tall grass with a machete. One-half day would cut it with one of the tools above and he would be standing up doing it."

I've looked a few scythe websites and have seen even children using it, so I think even a person with a small build like myself can use one. Still have several questions. Can one learn to use it on one's own or does one need training? How difficult is it to master? Can it cut very tall and thick grass?

Charles. (Trinidad)