permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A good scythe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A good scythe
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:57:59 +0000

I have a brush cutting scythe and I love it. The only learning curves involve
figuring out the best way to hold it to get the best swathe cut (just takes a
few swings) and sharpening. I suggest getting a good cold hammered blade and
not a heat-forged blade because they hold a much better edge and are easy to
work back to a good edge when you've knicked it. I bought mine from
www.scythesupply.com and am very happy with the products. i am thinking of
getting a hand-held sickle and a grass cutting blade next. VERY easy on the
back! I've used swing blades and machetes before too, and hate them. my brush
blade will cut a sapling the thickness of my finger, but not thicker. and
it's not good for cutting grasses, but good for the weedy stuff that comes up
under fence lines and such. a grass blade is what you need for pasture type
grass.

hope that helps :)

roxann, NW AR, zone 6b
www.AncientEarthWisdom.com