permaculture - Re: [permaculture] City Repair Project, and leadership

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] City Repair Project, and leadership
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:13:51 -0800 (PST)

Aloha,

>> i bet my ass...

> The staff of City Repair--the folks who do the organizing--are 6 women
> and 3 men. The founder is male, but when I've worked with them, the
> women are just as vocal and active as Mark Lakeman is, and he's
> outstanding at distributing power.

Hmmm, so who's won your ass, Georg? ;-)

> All neighbors on the adjoining
> blocks are consulted, and there is a process for input from any
> neighbors within a certain radius.

Mark said that the primary citizen opposition (including petitions, etc.) to
their original intersection project came from some people living in a condo
development some blocks away. Apparently they were used to speeding up and
down the residential street as their "private" shortcut to and from the
outside world.

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration