permaculture - Re: [permaculture] City Repair Project, and leadership

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "georg parlow" <georg@websuxxess.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] City Repair Project, and leadership
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:17:43 +0100

> The neighborhood residents become the collective "leaders." And their
example
> is being recognized and sought out by all manner of people who maybe
thought
> it couldn't be done (at least not by them) and now see that it can.

nice example of good leadership. i bet my ass that "the neighbourhood
residents" are far from 100% of all residents in the affected area. propably
less than 10%. and even within those few % of activists, there will be a few
ringleaders (mostly male, propably) who do most of the talking.

leadership is nothing coming from "without", it is "us" - some of us, who
have the drive and ability to take it on. we as a group motivate ourselves,
organize ourselves, articulate the latent yearnings, stand up und face
"outside" difficulties, fight them if needed, and later devide the gains
between ourselves - but that doesn't imply that every given individual is
doing this. if it is just a few % with the rest giving a bit active but
mostly passive support, this is leadership in my terminology.

georg