permaculture - Re: leadership (was:Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "RIA SWIFT" <Riaswift@msn.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: leadership (was:Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:52:11 -0400

Toby wrote:

This is why I said we need to TEACH this structure.  I did not say anything about throwing out the politicians etc., aka Bucky.  TEACH is the operative word.  We already know how to lead and follow.  I am talking about the beginning of something new.  Very capable people will not want to assume the responsibility you had in your business because of all that they assume goes along with being in that role.  If people continue to think about these systems they way they have been they will stay the same.  Absolutely.  That is why I said teach...At least I think I said teach.  You can't change the system without figuring out how to teach the mechanics of it first.  Very few people would jump in.   I brought it up not out of an anarchistic sensibility but a more inclusive one.  I am also not talking about getting rid of the fact that people will not naturally fall into categories leader, interpreter, marketer, sales, etc. whatever their natural proclivity might be.  I am talking about allowing the organism to find it's own natural tendency and then letting that organism do that, something we do not do in this culture.  There is a place for all colors.  One not being better than the other but certainly having different functions - leading the self.  The most internal source of the self knows exactly what to do in any given situation.  But we do not teach people how to access and utilize this internal source.  We direct, dictate, control, etc.  I think nature does a beautiful job of this.  It just does it's thing, no one tells it what to do or how to do it.  That is what I meant about fractal geometry.  It replicates itself.  In my opinion it is better for the individual and then of course that means it is better for the group when the individual decides for itself what it's role will be - if it is in touch with it's deepest nature.  How many people are?  Not a whole lot.  We need to teach that.  I don't know that leaders need to be developed.  I think each person needs to be taught to develop his own specific, special, individual talents, proclivities.  The rest would naturally take care of itself.  Maybe that is clearer.  You guys made me think about how to get this across.  I hope this did it.

I hold steady to this idea.  I hope it's clearer now.  I've lived it and it works beautifully.  I don't think you can compare a new way of doing things with an old model.  How do you compare blood letting to a high powered antibiotic?  You can't.  Well enough for me...thanks for the conversations, Ria