pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Permaculture Frappr Group ... RSS discussion

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Sean Maley <semaley@yahoo.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Permaculture Frappr Group ... RSS discussion
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:46:54 -0800 (PST)

--- "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:
> What do you know about FreeBSD and Open BSD (is that
> just for os developers)?. Do you like Debian?
>
> LL

I get paid for supporting Sybase (HP-UX, Solaris, and
Linux, but have done AIX and VMS too). Since
automating the day lights out of our systems, I have
been passing time with Perl and PHP, while the regular
Perl developers catch up with me. With my limited SA
responsibilities, I am more of a volume group disk
layout resource in a low budget open source
development environment (not much need for my SA
skills if the data doesn't break out of a 32-bit data
model and the firm absolutely wouldn't buy an EMC or
Hitachi disk array). To kill time while I sit here, I
ssh into a computer at home running FC2 (I have a bank
of PCs behind a router/firewall). We otherwise run
RedHat and Solaris here where I work.

I used Mandrake prior to installing FC2 at home, which
seemed the direction to try instead of going the
Debian route. I hear more about OpenBSD when I
fantasize about robotics projects and PC/104 systems.
Unfortunately, I have no space for my electronics
tinkering in a sea of apartment buildings. Anyway,
there would be too much Pb with a small curious child
around. There is also very little time given a high
maintenance wife with elderly parents in high gear
with major illnesses.

When I get a chance, I want to install a second CPU in
my Xeon box, which needs to be put out of it's misery
from Windows 98. It is so painful to use that we just
have it powered off now. I'm sure I can figure out
what nuisance is causing trouble, but I am just sick
of it with MS and vulnerabilities. I'll burn a backup
of my data, but it's over with 98.

-Sean.