pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Permaculture Frappr Group ... RSS discussion

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Permaculture Frappr Group ... RSS discussion
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:02:26 -0500

John Schinnerer wrote:

Aloha,

And Firefox eliminated the option in the pulldown file menu ---> send page
(via email). This is too valuable a tool to do without.

OTOH, I for one am glad they did away with making it easy for the unthinking to blithely send entire web pages chugging around the internet.

Any app that does away with this feature would lose my business.

Put a link to the page in the mail, instead of sending unknown quantities of page content that may not render correctly in a mail client anyhow to people who don't have the bandwidth for it.

I pay for my bandwidth sage and want to make the most of it.
Just sending a link isn't adequate. I can send link and save entire page, all
contents
to a folder but if I have that entire page in an email folder for quick
reference it makes work much easier
(rather than finding the saved files/website with cryptic name then finding
the right homepage html to load into browser
all takes too much time when you have lots to do. The files sent are not all
that large except for the graphics.
When you consider that my usage of bandwidth for this purpose is probably more worthwhile than what most people use it for then I feel totally justified in doing my info collecting and archiving this way. If eventually I can only get this done with Linux/Pine/TRN so be it; then I will have wget too - ultimately same or more bandwidth hogging - but for a good if not great cause :-)

What would really shift that habit is to have a menu item that automatically grabs the current URL and puts it in a new mail message, in the same way that 'send page' grabs the whole page:

There already is the "send link" option for this.

File | send link to this page (via email)

I think I will have to make time to suggest that to the projects.