pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Permaculture Frappr Group - join and locate yourself on the global map, uses Google :>+<: http://www.frappr.com/permaculture]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [Fwd: [permaculture] Permaculture Frappr Group - join and locate yourself on the global map, uses Google :>+<: http://www.frappr.com/permaculture]
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 11:47:29 -0500

RSS == Really Simple Syndication

It's part of what is called, in the internet vernacular, the Semantic
Web. RSS is effectively an XML schema that allows you to define and
populate items in such a way that it can be easily parsed by both
machine and person, and fetched the same way you'd fetch a web page.
It lends itself best to information that refreshes on a regular basis.

For example, if you go to http://www.worldchanging.com/index.xml in
Firefox, you'll see a minimalist tree-style browser that lets you open
and close the hierarchy of items -- an RSS wrapper contains a channel
wrapper, and the channel wrapper contains a bunch of "items". Since
it's all XML, it is easy to read and easy to write.

Frappr is more in line with what is called "Web 2.0", usually referred
to in opposition to "Semantic Web", but they are more like two visions
of the same animal, anterior and posterior, supine and prone...Ok I
digress...sticking with the RSS explanation...

If you want to collect and browse an assortment of RSS feeds, there
are a bazillion ways to do so. Some people swear by bloglines.com.
Personally I don't like bloglines because 99% of blogs are all tilth
and no nutrient -- I prefer a mix of news and mini-web-apps. Try out
www.google.com/ig -- their personalized home page actually is a great
way to get started viewing RSS feeds. Here are the steps to setting up
a simple RSS viewer using google.

1) http://www.google.com/ig
2) Log in or create an account
3) In the upper left corner is a link called "Add Content"
4) Ignore their premade content blocks and go right to the item
labeled "Create a section"
5) Enter the RSS address (try the worldchanging one above) for the
site you are interested in and click "Go"
6) Move the resulting feed block into a place on the page where you like it
7) Repeat ad infinitum for all your RSS feeds

Or try Sage, http://sage.mozdev.org/, for an alternative reader.
Compare and contrast. I think any number of the big portal sites will
give you similar options to google for setting up RSS feeds, in
MyYahoo and whatnot.

And yes -- totally fascinated by terraforming :-)

Finally, a web site that will knock your finest organic wool socks
off: http://www.emilychang.com/go/ehub/

I've spent hours and hours browsing through the latest in web apps,
and have a login on 80% of these applications, which vary from odd to
good to transcendentally magnificent.

Hope this helps.

-nesh