pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] a few things...

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Stephanie Gerson <sgerson@stanfordalumni.org>
  • To: pcplantdb <pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] a few things...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 23:29:06 -0700

...but I'm not going to call this a synthesis. Although it might resemble
one.

-Guess what, yalls. You'll never believe it. Yes. The rumors are true. I
switched to Firefox! Or shall I say, Bear switched me to Firefox. Which
means...I can access the issue tracker! (Which I'll be doing soon...)

-Wait, there's more. So I tried switching to Thunderbird. Or shall I say,
Bear tried switching me to Thunderbird. It didn't work for some reason. Hey
Bear, considering the technical expertise we gots here - could you please
explain why it didn't work in case someone can figure it out?

-Chad asked an interesting question, "Ok, thinking more about relationships
and I've come to an interesting sticky place in my thinking. My question is,
are we talking about an object that has a relationship to one or more objects
or a set of objects that have a relationship with each other or is it
sometimes one and sometimes the other?" Could this be different levels of
zoom? 'Zoom in' on one object, and view all of the relationships it has with
other objects. But you could also 'zoom out' and view groups of objects
(companion plants <--> full guilds) and their relationships with other
objects/groups of objects. Does it have to be one or the other? Mimic Gaia.

-As far as search grammar, can't we just do the same as Google? As in, have
AND, OR, and "" capabilities? I know Johns wants to make this more like a
focused database search, but I agree that most people have (more) experience
with internet search engines - and I think Google works just swell. Default
AND is fine for advanced (or whatever was decided?). But would be nice to
have same capabilities as Google. We should have a "how to search"/FAQ page
regardless, and I'm willing to write it if someone (Chad?) explains how the
search grammer works.

-Chad wrote, "Additionally I would like to freeze and branch
either 0.3.0 or 0.2.4 to stabilize and debug before pushing it onto
the main www.permaculture.info server (currently running 0.1.6 or some
such) in order to get more eyes on it and show something less stale.
Sound like a plan?" I assume this means we should ALL test, ne c'est pas? To
help with de-bugging so we can get this on the main server. (I can put
another call out to the PIW list.)

-Whatever happened to the PayPal idea? Is someone going to step forward and
take this on?

Ok, fine. I guess that was somewhat of a synthesis. But shhh, don't tell.

buenas noches
*Stephanie