pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Richard Morris <webmaster@pfaf.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:48:53 +0100

Chad Knepp wrote:

I think you are doing just fine. I do have some criticisms of our
group process thought, esp. in regards to making consensus decisions.
For me, the two issues are: Who all is part of the decision making
group? I think it's Steph, John, Rich, Lawrence, and myself, but what
about Paula, John Howe, and other members of the list? The other
thing is that in consensus process, when someone makes a proposal it's
an invitiation to respond. This doesn't translate well to internet
culture because when you are neutral or agree the norm is to not
respond. I've brought up the issue about what license(s) we are going
to use twice and I didn't get much of a response except from Richard.
I suspect it's because people either agree or trust my judement but I
can't be sure. Anyway, in the future I think it would be good to
point out that you NEED everyone to respond in order for a decision to
be reached.

One thing I've though of to help using the wiki to record
decisions etc

I've created a wiki page

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/pcwiki/index.php/Decision%20pages?action=edit

where we can record decisions about various aspects.

The way it works is very simple, just put your name next to the
option you prefer.

I've put two decisions namely the name we go under and the license we use for datasets (hopefuly we all agree on gpl or cc-gpl for code).

Don't know if this is a good way to organise things.
What do you think?

Plants for a Future: 7000 useful plants
Tel: 01208 872 963 / 0845 458 4719
Email: webmaster@pfaf.org