pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] [re][synthesis]
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:33:20 -0700

Stephanie Gerson wrote:

Howdy everybody,

First of all, thank you Chad, Rich, and John for sending me your project plan information. I will create a project plan this weekend, and send it out when I’m finished. A few miscellaneous comments:

-Chad wrote, “The only way that my vision differs much the above is that you seem to specify that a GBI is an optimal way to represent/understand/
create guilds and I don't know that I agree with that.” I also don’t know if I think that a GBI is the optimal way – it was simply the only thing I knew of when I wrote the grant proposal. But essential to this project is the development of a user-interface which allows users to understand plant relationships in a systemic and relationship-oriented manner – likely involving a web-like appearance. Like I said, GBIs were the only interfaces I knew of that achieved this - but if there are others that are more effective, wonderful! I would like to stress, though, that developing an interface which presents information systemically is integral here.

-Lawrence wrote, “Isn't a GBI interface icing on the cake which could be added later.” The interface can be added later, of course, but I don’t consider it icing on the cake. As emphasized above, the interfaces is integral to this project – and part of what we were funded for (and something I stressed in the grant proposal) was to create a tool for systemic education. The visual interface is therefore very important!

-Following, please check out the new version of Thinkmap (simply for inspiration!) at http://www.thinkmap.com/v.2.5.jsp. I’d be curious to know what you techies think. I’ve also forwarded the article from them below.