pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] licenses

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] licenses
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:23:28 -1000 (HST)

Aloha,

> I've been looking at quite what the GPL "free" means.
>
> I'm halfway through trying the register with sourceforge
> and one their admin replied
> > 2. What is the license text being used for the content (do
> > note that if the license restricts commercial use, it will
> > not meet our hosting standards)?
>
> so basically GPL "free" means its OK for someone to take the
> dataset put it on their advertising website and make money off it
> (with none going back to the project).

Well, GPL is not a data/content license, it's a source code license, afaik.
So I was assuming something else would be used for the data/content, and
those I know little to nothing about. Haven't read your license mail yet,
will soon...

If it's free somewhere, why will someone pay for it elsewhere?
Only if there's value added over and above what's already there for free.
That's one underpinning of the open source idea...
If I'm for example willing to pay money for a shrinkwrap linux distro, it
must be because there's some value added over distros I can get free (or
I'm just a fool and his money...).

I think there's a difference (in some licenses I assume) between allowing
commercial use and allowing privatization.

What do they mean by commercial use? Does that simply mean that
commercial entities can use it?