pcplantdb - Re: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:43:24 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

I'll try this again - server had a hiccup the other day...not sure if my
replies got anywhere so I'll start again.

> o I am super excited and would love to dive into the design stuff
> immediately and off the clock. It would probably be nice to have a
> tech list for this. Lawrence? Probably best to wait until John
> has his phone though...

Tomorrow, unless something tragic happens.
Do we need a separate tech list? We seem to be the only ones here at this
point. I can see the benefit of splitting them early on though, so up to
y'all if you want to start it asap.

> o ZODB/ZCatalog are new things for me but I love learning new things.

I think you'll grok them pretty quickly. They're python after all! ;-)

> o I am also willing to do a fair amount of dialog/correspondence off
> the clock as well esp. while we figure out design. I'm curious to
> hear other peoples expectations.

I am up for that to the degree that my power and bandwidth permit (car
battery for now, dial-up access).

> o Feature set: This is huge and would probably better thought of as a
> progression than a static set.

Absolutely. Modular, expandable design.

> o Licensing: We need to agree on a license or licenses. I am
> completely open to suggestion, but I recommend the code base be
> under the GPL and the data set be under the CC BY-SA or BY-NC-SA.

GPL for code is good by me. Not familiar with the data set options so I
defer to those who are as long as they are GPL-like in spirit and
execution.

> I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Steph are you planning
> on announcing this to the permaculture list? I think it would be
> great to do so and would be willing to do it if you don't have time.

It's vaporware so far. I'd be cautious about announcing anything more
than that the project now has a bit of funding and will work on basic
stuff.
Could generate a lot of static and wish lists and whatever that we might
not want to be bothered with to start.

Design & Technology Services