pcplantdb - [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....

pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: pcplantdb

  • From: Chad Knepp <pyg@galatea.org>
  • To: pcplantdb@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [pcplantdb] Re: holy guacamole....
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:58:40 -0500

John Schinnerer writes:
> <snip>
>
> Speaking of buying guacamole...we need to get to the nitty gritty
> of how to best put that $$ to work - in ways that will be
> demonstrable when it's used up so we can ask for more from there
> and elsewhere.

Great question. I've been turning this around in my head for most of
the last 24 hours. Here are some of my thoughts and further
questions:

o I am super excited and would love to dive into the design stuff
immediately and off the clock. It would probably be nice to have a
tech list for this. Lawrence? Probably best to wait until John
has his phone though...

o I was assuming that we would be keeping track of hours and
submitting them to Stephanie or someone for payment. Am I right?

o ZODB/ZCatalog are new things for me but I love learning new things.
In order to more effectively use our funding I am planning on
bringing myself up to speed off the clock and would encourage
others to learn new things on their own time as well.

o There will probably be features that individuals would like to see
in our product that the group cannot reach consensus on (myself
esp.). In order to get the most bang for our buck, I would
encourage individuals to implement these features pro bono.

o I am also willing to do a fair amount of dialog/correspondence off
the clock as well esp. while we figure out design. I'm curious to
hear other peoples expectations.

o When do we [officially] start?

In order to get started here are some things we need to talk about and
reach agreement on.

o Feature set: This is huge and would probably better thought of as a
progression than a static set. It would be great to hear from
everyone 1) what they wanted to have before they even bother using
it and 2) what they need to have to release it to the public 3) the
stuff you dream about.

o Implementation details: After we have point 1 of the feature set,
we need to figure out who is doing what and how. The how is
especially important when there is overlap between folks on the
what.

o Licensing: We need to agree on a license or licenses. I am
completely open to suggestion, but I recommend the code base be
under the GPL and the data set be under the CC BY-SA or BY-NC-SA.

o Project details: Uhh... things like a name, although this could be
as hard choosing the color of paint I would love to start referring
to it as something other than "project" or "our product". There
are a host of other details that may actually be easily answered
but I cannot immediately recall the answers.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone. Steph are you planning
on announcing this to the permaculture list? I think it would be
great to do so and would be willing to do it if you don't have time.

BTW. I got so carried away by the good news, I forgot to recognize
the good/hard work of Steph and others that actually made this funding
happen. Here I've been just sitting around bitching about not having
money fall from the sky for the last two years and Steph goes out and
makes my dream come true. Thanks Steph!!!