ocba - [ocba] Winter and slow death?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Michael Morrissey <mmorrissey AT fastmail.fm>
  • To: Orange Co Beekeepers <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Winter and slow death?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 13:35:15 -0500

Hi,
Since this is our first season, I'm not sure how normal it is to find 10 or 12 bees dead in front of the hive. It seems they are dying at that rate daily. The few that aren't quite dead are sluggish, barely able to fly. I picked one up for close inspection and she looked normal -- 2 good wings, no mites, etc.

Overall, the hive seems healthy--lots of activity lately, perhaps more so due to the unusually warm afternoons. They have a candy board, cedar blanket and some 5:3 syrup occasionally when its warm. They also appear to be finding a bit of pollen from somewhere.

I'll do an inspection this weekend, as it's supposed to be in the 70s. Anything special I should be looking for?

Opinions and advice welcome.
Thanks
--
Michael Morrissey