nafex - Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:39:59 -0400

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 6:17 PM, sherwin <sherwindu@att.net> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> I concur with your opinions of FB. I only keep it for contact
> with my family, who insist upon using it.
>
> Looking at the Nafex postings on FB, I found them to be very
> difficult to distinguish what the topics were being mixed up
> with all that chat. I don't consider FB a serious gardening
> media. It's good for chatting, and that's about all. I like the
> simplicity and readability of Ibiblio. Notification is a big plus
> on Ibiblio, as I can prescreen messages and decide which ones
> to view or erase.
>
> Sherwin Dubren

That's it in a plum pit. I am so grateful for the ibiblio lists. When I
started around 1990
my first lists were hosted free by the Cooperative Extension email server
at NCSU, Raleigh.
These were forums that used email for traffic, permaculture and a
sustainable agriculture one;
sanet-mg was at the same location. Later I moved the forums to UNC Academic
Computing then on to
ibiblio; all used email for delivery though the software was different at
each host. I like the UNIX or LINUX file system and command line,
ftp and text-based html for websites. My friend PJM and I, each BBS sysops,
decided that as far as web development was concerned, we were all about
content, not cosmetics,
i.e. a website should be fully accessable by someone using the VT100 Lynx
web browser at the Unix command line, so no html tables, etc etc. Of course
now with Linux and its GUI
everything is possible. It is amazing how far programming, apps
development, online security, Linux and even Windows apps, especially the
free and open source ones have come.

I chose not to worry about spying and security anywhere on Google, so I max
out my use of those free, excellent resources.
I ran across the most perfect Google resource for an organization, one that
NAFEX ought to use. I posted about this to my PC list and will crosspost
that to this thread as soon as I locate it tonight. I put together a fair
amount of info and links to documentation about it. It starts at Google+
with a system intended for organizations, non profit or corporate. Its easy
to set up and maintain; can submit posts for public or private viewing, can
have a management team and original ownership (the person who created the
page) of the site can be changed to one or more other people. Setting this
up is not time consuming, nor is maintenance so NAFEX ought to take a
serious look at using this free resource. The midfex list community too.
I'll post more into later tonight.
LL
--
Lawrence F. London