nafex - Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook

  • From: sherwin <sherwindu@att.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] NAFEX on Facebook
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 22:54:54 -0500

On 9/22/2014 9:50 PM, mIEKAL aND wrote:
Seriously, there is a huge amount of under 35 energy on the various
Facebook permaculture, plant & orchard groups that I'm a part of.
It's sad that very few of them can be convinced to join a listserv and
sad that folks that have chimed into this thread are locked into one
possible version of information transmission. Facebook is just a
tool. You can run adblock plus and never ever see an ad or
advertising of any kind. you can streamline your permissions and your
behavior so your personal information is not harvested. You can be
involved in very very in depth conversations with other growers who
are interested in knowledge sharing. You get out of it what you put
into it. If you expect it to be a waste of time, it will. If you
decide to use it like a tool, like a pick axe or a refractometer, it
can be that. I run a nursery of edible plants and generate a large
percentage of online sales via facebook, and locally here in the very
rural area I live in, I would never bother doing an event without
using it, because here is really no other way locally for folks to
hear about events.

That said, I'll try to get a thread going on the facebook page to see
if any of the folks there not subbed to this list would be interested
in joining.

OK, you need facebook to run your business. I am not shopping
at your place, so I don't need it. Facebook carries too much
baggage to be of interest to me. When I do use it for personal
communications with family, I feel like I am not in control. Facebook
takes me where I don't want to go. It substitutes strings and names
trying to be super smart. It's way more complicated than what I
need for fruit growing information. It's full of nonsensical chit chat
by people trying to be cute or keep a conversation going way beyond
what is necessary. I will stick with Ibiblio, thank you.

Sherwin Dubren