nafex - Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:20:50 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Mark,

It's unlikely that IBF would be pollinated by plums, apricots or cherries,
but there have been a few rare peach x (Japanese) plum hybrids made over the
centuries, so it would be possible to get an occasional pollination with the
Methley. I wouldn't count on these, though.

If you are space-limited, you could consider planting a self-fertile natural
dwarf peach, which will even grow in large containers (like half whiskey
barrels). They are happier in the ground, of course.

If you are in a very cold climate, container growing might be your only
option for these short-internode dwarfs. They tend to be rather tender.
Maybe someone has been backcrossing the recessive short-internode allele into
a Reliance or other hardy background by now. Even though I live in
sub-tropical North Carolina, I'd be curious to know if this exists.

Regards,

Anton