nafex - Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 22:05:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Indian Blood Free and Indian Blood Cling are two distinct peach cultivars.

Indian Free is peach leaf curl resistant and is a very late-ripening
freestone that is male sterile (needs a pollenizer). So it can't produce
offspring by itself.

Indian Cling is a rubbery-textured clingstone that ripens earlier & is
self-fertile. It is known for it's ability to reproduce fairly true from
seed. I've planted quite a few seed of it and find significant variation in
the offspring with regards to fruit shape and size. Texture, color and
disease resistance/ susceptibility and tree growth habits are pretty similar
among the offspring. I've seen peach leaf curl on this cultivar.

Both cultivars are pretty susceptible to Xanthomonas leaf spot (bacterial
spot), which is a more serious problem for the hot, humid Southeastern US.

Anton
North Carolina