nafex - Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Indian Cling Peach
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 08:45:50 -0400

To add to Antons good information on these peaches, Indian Cling is
traditionally a pickling peach, and its texture becomes an asset when pickles
are made. It is generally good for any kind of cooking. It is one of my
favorite peaches because it gets no diseases (I have never seen bacterial
spot out of control on it), few bugs, and produces a huge load of fruit every
year. Curl is not a problem for me so I can't comment on that.

Indian Free is also supposed to come fairly true to seed. It is a much more
difficult peach to grow in Maryland, it is highly prone to brown rot and is
also susceptible to bacterial spot. I have recently found an
earlier-ripening cultivar, Sanguine Pilat, which appears to be better than
Indian Free in every way: it is just as tasty, is much larger, and appears
resistant to diseases.

Black Boy is a peach very similar to Indian Free. My tree would frequently
go mealy and since it was also rotting badly I removed it.

I should be able to get you a few Indian Cling seeds, email me if you want me
to look. They just finished ripening and the squirrels left some pits around
the tree. That tree is by the road and when I was not looking the squirrels
cleared it.

Scott Z7 MD