nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goats

  • From: Louis Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goats
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 16:43:43 -0600

Cows get out if you leave the gate open.
Sheep get out if they need something.
Goats get out because they want to see what the world looks like from the hood of your car.

Saw a presentation on using goats to control(eradicate?) kudzu, a couple of weeks back - had photos of goats 25 ft above ground, in trees, eating kudzu leaves.  Granted, they got there by climbing up limbs/treetops that had been pulled down by the kudzu vines &/or broken out by ice storms.
9 goats/acre did a pretty good job of reining the kudzu in(at least what they could reach), but I suspect it'll take multiple years of continued defoliation to eradicate it from a premise.

Goats were never intended to live and GRAZE in the hot, humid Southeastern US;  browsing rough, brushy overgrown properties is what they were designed to do